SERDANG, March 26 - UPM researchers won the main awards at the Malaysia Technology Expo (MTE) 2021, clinching five golds, eight silvers, three Best Category Awards and two Special Awards, at The International Expo on Inventions and Innovations - Malaysia Technology Expo (MTE) 2021, a virtual event held from 22 to 26 March, 2021.
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Farzad Hejazi from the Faculty of Engineering was awarded a gold medal and MOSTI’s Special Award - Best Innovation Award for his Semi-active Bypass Viscous Damper (SAB) technology. The MOSTI Best Innovation Award is recognised as the main award of MTE 2021, and the winner is selected by MOSTI.
The Semi-active Bypass Viscous Damper (SAB) technology is used in bridges and buildings to eliminate the effects of vibration on the structures due to the traffic burden. The function of this SAB Damper can be adjusted depending on traffic burden, and the device can be attuned accordingly to effectively reduce the effects of vibration at a low, medium or heavy traffic burden to prevent structural damage in operation.
UPM submitted 14 entries for the Invention and Innovation Awards category at the MTE 2021 exhibition, which was participated by numerous universities, research agencies, higher education institutions, government agencies, companies and schools from within and outside the country.
MTE 2021 was officiated by the Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI), Khairy Jamaluddin, while the awards were presented by the Minister of Higher Education, Datuk Seri Dr. Noraini Ahmad.
Meanwhile, Ts. Dr. Mohd Salahuddin Mohd Basri (Faculty of Engineering) was awarded the MTUN TVET Special Award, International Award, on the New Harvesting Machine technology for Agrivoltaic Herbal Crops Based on Reel-Wheel Rotating Mechanism.
A list of UPM researchers who won gold, silver and Special Awards medals at the MTE 2021 Invention and Innovation Awards category are as follows:
1. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Farzad Hejazi (Faculty of Engineering), Semi-active Bypass Viscous Damper (SAB) - Gold Medal, MOSTI Special Award - Best Innovation Award and Best Innovation Award in the Machinery, Equipment and Tools (Heavy Equipment, Industrial Machinery) Category.
2. Prof. Dr. Ahmed Osumanu Haruna (Faculty of Agricultural Science and Forestry, UPM Bintulu Campus), Organic and Inorganic Approaches for Improving Soil Health and Cash Crops Yield and Quality - Gold Medal, Best Innovation Award –Agriculture, Livestock & Horticulture, Aquaculture & Fisheries Category.
3. Prof. Ts. Dr Rosnah Shamsudin (Faculty of Engineering), VERSMAP - Gold Medal.
4. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Farzad Hejazi (Faculty of Engineering), Rubber Bracing Damper (RBD) - Gold Medal.
5. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nurulfiza Mat Isa (Institute of Biosciences), CRISPRvac cfUPMT27 A Fowl Adenovirus Vaccine - Gold Medal.
6. Ts. Dr. Mohd Salahuddin Mohd Basri (Faculty of Engineering), New Harvesting Machine for Agrivoltaic Herbal Crops Based on Reel-Wheel Rotating Mechanism-Silver Medal and Special Award MTUN TVET International Award.
7. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Siti Nurbaya Oslan (Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences), LipExPS: A probabilistic and validated platform for recombinant lipase expression in Pichia pastoris for industrial application - Silver Medal and Best Innovation Award in the Industrial and Product Design, Web Interface Design & Printing Technology Category.
8. Dr. Mohammad Jawaid (Institute of Tropical Forestry and Forest Products), Techno-Economic Hard Body Armour - Silver Medal.
9. Prof. Dr. Robiah Yunus (Faculty of Engineering), Palm oil-based Nanoemulsion in water (EW) Insecticide - Silver Medal.
10. Prof. Dr. Hamidon Basri (Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences), Neuroprotective effect of Andrographis paniculata Against Chemotherapeutic –Induced Cognitive Impairment and Peripheral Neuropathy - Silver Medal.
11. Dr. Ilyana Jalaluddin (Faculty of Modern Languages and Communication), E – Language Exploration Series (2020) - Silver Medal.
12. Prof. Ir. Dr. Aduwati Sali (Faculty of Engineering), LoRa Optimization for Peatland Monitoring - Silver Medal.
13. Prof. Dr. Vijayaletchumy Subramaniam (Faculty of Modern Languages and Communication), Lajur Ampuh Membaca Bahasa Melayu (LAMBM) – Silver Medal.
14. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Shahrul Razid Sarbini (Faculty of Agriculture and Food Science, UPMKB), Prebiotic Coffee - Merit Award.
Date of Input: 06/04/2021 | Updated: 03/05/2021 | hairul_nizam
43400 UPM Serdang
Selangor Darul Ehsan