By Kuah Guan Oo
Pic by Sabri Omar
SERDANG, 9 May (UPM) - Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) today honoured two of its former Vice-Chancellors with the specially created “Putra Special Academic Award” in recognition of their outstanding contributions to the development and advancement of the university and nation.
Also recognised and awarded for their excellent services last year were 14 academic and 2 non-academic staffs during the ceremony.
The two former Vice-Chancellors, Prof. Dato’ Ir. Dr. Radin Umar Radin Sohadi and Prof. Tan Sri Datuk Dr. Nik Mustapha R. Abdullah, received The Putra Special Academic Award from the Sultan of Selangor, Sultan Sharafuddin Idris Shah, who is also UPM’s Chancellor.
Thirteen of the academic and 2 non-academic staffs of the university received the Vice-Chancellor’s Fellowships Award 2012, while another academician received the Outstanding Consultant Award at the ceremony.
The award ceremony or “Majlis Gemilang Academia Putra – MGAP” was started 5 years ago to spur the university’s staff to excel in their respective services.
UPM’s Vice-Chancellor, Prof Datuk Dr Mohd Fauzi bin Haji Ramlan said in his speech that UPM’s academic and non-academic staff had made a positive impact to the development of human resources and economic succces of the nation.
“This is in line with the mission of the university to give meaningful contributions towards the creation of wealth and development of the nation and people through the exploration and dissemination of knowledge,” he said.
The university, he also said, would ensure that its academic and non-academic staff practised a dynamic working culture, ethically and with excellence.
“This is in line with our efforts to boost UPM’s excellence and have a positive image at the global stage towards making us a university of international repute,” he said.
The winners of the four main categories of the UPM Vice-Chancellor’s Fellowship Awards 2012 are: -
* Prof Dr Jayakaran Mukundan – Excellent Educator
(Faculty of Education)
* Dr Patricia King Jie Hung – Excellent Educator
(Faculty of Agriculture and Food Sciences)
* Dr Wan Zuhainis Saad – Young Educator
(Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Science)
* Dr Adlina Ab. Halim – Young Educator
(Faculty of Human Ecology)
* Dr Ong Kian Huat – Young Educator
(Faculty of Agricultural and Food Science)
* Prof Dr Maznah Ismail – Excellent Researcher
(Institute of Bioscience)
* Prof Dr Tengku Aizan Tengku Abdul Hamid – Excellent Researcher
(Institute of Gerontology)
* Dr Chin Nyuk Ling – Young Researcher
(Faculty of Engineering)
* Prof Dr Tan Chin Ping – Publication of Articles Journal
(Science and Technology)
(Faculty of Science and Food Technology)
* Prof Dr Khalid Abdul Rahim – Publication of Articles Journal (Social Science)(Faculty of Economy and Management)
* Assoc Prof Dr Normahdiah Sheik Said – Book Publication
(Faculty of Modern Languages and Communications)
* Dr Shamsudin Othman – Arts and Creativity
(Faculty of Education)
* Prof Dr Ahmad Ismail – Professional Services (Academician)
(Faculty of Science)
* Haji Mohamed Ghazali Haji Ali – Professional Services (Management and Non- Academic professionals)
(Director University’s Islamic Centre)
* Haji Mohd. Zailani Haji Abd. Razak – Professional Services (Executive)(University’s Agricultural Garden)
* Assoc Prof Dr Mohd Fadlee A. Rasid – Excellent Consultant Award
(Faculty of Engineering ).
43400 UPM Serdang
Selangor Darul Ehsan