By Kuah Guan Oo
Photo by Noor Azreen Awang
KUALA LUMPUR, 18 Dec (UPM) – Twelve scientists of Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) were among the 35 recognised as the top research scientists of the country for 2013 by the Academy of Sciences Malaysia (ASM) in a ceremony here last night.
One of the 12 UPM scientists was also inducted as a Fellow of ASM during the award-presentation ceremony at a dinner at a leading hotel that was also graced by Prime Minister Dato’ Seri Najib Tun Razak.
Prof Dr Fatimah Md Yusoff, an expert in aquatic ecology and limnology of the Department of Aquaculture of the Faculty of Agriculture, was among the 19 scientists who were made new Fellows of ASM this year.
She was also among the 35 scientists acknowledged as the top research scientists of the country for this year.
The other 11 UPM scientists are:
1. Prof Datin Paduka Dr Aini Ideris, is an expert in avian respiratory and immunosuppressive diseases, related to the control of poultry diseases and development of poultry vaccines. Dr Aini of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine who has just completed her term as Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic and International Affairs), was elected to the Hall of Honour of the World Veterinary Poultry Association in August 2013.
2. Prof Dr Luqman Chuah Abdullah @ Chuah Teong Guan, an expert in separation technology in wastewater treatment, material engineering on nanomaterials and biopolymers and phytochemical processing is from the Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering of the Faculty of Engineering.
3. Assoc. Prof Dr M. Iqbal Saripan, an expert in medical electronics who is the Head the Department of Computer and Communication Systems Engineering of the Faculty of Engineering.
4. Prof Dr Mahiran Basri, a pioneer in the research on organic synthesis using enzymes as biocatalysts in Malaysia, is a professor in chemistry in the Science Faculty. She is also the Director of the Centre of Foundation Studies for Agriculture Science that prepares SPM holders for degree courses at UPM.
6. Prof Dr Noh Azah Yusof, whose research interest is in chemical and biosensor development, specifically in medical diagnostic and environmental monitoring, is from the Chemistry Department of the Science Faculty.
7. Prof Dr Paridah Md Tahir, an expert in wood and non-wood forest products, is from the Department of Forest Production of the Forestry Faculty. She has just delivered her inaugural lecture earlier this month.
8. Prof Dr Raja Noor Zaliha Raja Abd Rahman, whose interest is in searching for microbes producing thermostable and organic tolerant enzymes, is the Head of the Enzyme and Microbial Technology Research Centre (EMTECH) of the Faculty of Biotechnology and Biomolecular Sciences.
9. Prof Dr Shamshuddin Jusop, an expert in soil formation in the country, soil mineralogy and soil chemistry, is with the Department of Land Management of the Agriculture Faculty.
10. Prof Dr Tan Chin Ping, whose research focus is on developing various sustainable processing technologies of palm oil and food industry, is Head of the Food Technology Department of the Faculty of Food Science Technology.
11. Prof Dr Taufiq Yap Yun Hin, an expert in catalysis, is a chemistry professor at the Department of Chemistry of the Science Faculty and Head of the Putra Catalysis Science and Technology Research Centre (PutraCAT). He was elected last October to become a titular member to Division 1 of the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC), the umbrella body of national chemistry organisations around the world. The division deals with Physical and Biophysical Chemistry of the Zurich-based IUPAC.
Last year, 3 UPM scientists were inducted as Fellows of ASM while 12 others were among 27 scientists in the country who were acclaimed as TRSM by ASM. -- UPM
43400 UPM Serdang
Selangor Darul Ehsan